Re: Easy way to rename files sequentially?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Easy way to rename files sequentially?
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 23:11:15 +0000

cothrige <cothrige@yahoo.com> writes:

> I sometimes have a list of files which I would like to rename both in
> a group and in sequence.  In the past, for very long lists of files
> with a number in the name, e.g. "some random audio file ep 01 of
> 200.mp3", I would use thunar as it will very easily and automatically
> add a sequential number to the front of the names, resulting in
> 01-xxx.mp3 and so on.  Of course, there are many reasons I would
> rather not have to use thunar, and would prefer to be able to do it
> from within emacs.  I have managed to do this a few times using wdired
> and a keyboard macro, and this really isn't too bad.

Yes, this isn't that bad at all (considered the number of times I need
to renumber files sequentially -- but you might have other needs.)

Here is how I do it (for those interested):

0. (wdired-change-to-wdired-mode) [which I bind to C-c C-c]
1. <F3> (kmacro-start-macro-or-insert-counter)
2. Put the point where to add the number in the file
3. <F3> again to insert the counter value
4. Put the point where to add the number in the next file
5. <F4> to save the macro

C-e e e e e ... does the job for me.

--
Bastien