Re: what mode?: double-quote yields nothing until next keystroke; how to

From: Daniel B.
Subject: Re: what mode?: double-quote yields nothing until next keystroke; how to turn off?
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 12:09:12 -0800 (PST)

--- David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

> "Daniel B." <daniel76@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Somehow I keep accidentally getting Emacs into a
> mode
> > in which a double-quote keystroke yields nothing
> until
> >
> > I press another key, at which time Emacs inserts
> the
> > two characters I meant (or one character composed
> from
> >
> > them).
> >
> > What mode is this?
>
> C-\ runs the command toggle-input-method ...

That doesn't seem to be the mode I'm encountering.

1. Typing C-\ prompts me for an input method name.
I've never seen that before (and I don't _think_
I just missed seeing it by typing too fast).

2. Enabling an input method with C-\ adds characters
(e.g., "U+" for method "ucs") to the mode line.   The
symptoms I was experiencing did not include any change

to the mode line.

3. With an input method enabled by C-\ (at least using
the "ucs" and "spanish-prefix" methods), Emacs
displays
the first character (underlined) as soon as I type it.
The symptom I was experiencing is that the display
doesn't change at all until I type the next character.

Any other ideas?  Is there some earlier layer of input
methods in Emacs?

(It does not appear to be something in Windows.  When
one Emacs instance is exhibiting those symptoms, I can

run another copy of Emacs and that second copy works
normally.)

Daniel

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs