Re: mac/dos/unix newline conversion without specify from

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: mac/dos/unix newline conversion without specify from
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:03:20 -0800 (PST)

David Kastrup wrote:
<<That's because html-mode sets require-final-newline to t. >>

Thanks for finding the cause.

Anyhow, for what's worth, i think this is still something emacs (in
particular Mac versions) should fixup. Basically, the scenario is that
a user opens mac classic html files, work on it, save it, then next
time he opens the files shows ^M. (this actually happens to me a lot
since i work on a server with non-professional coders and they use
BBEdit that is still set to CR as newline) In contrast, i open the
same file (with CR as eol but a LF at the end) in Xcode, TextWrangler,
TextEdit, all opens correctly and indicate as Mac files.

* perhaps require-final-newline should insert the right EOL char based
on the encoding.

* perhaps emacs file opening routine should be more smart. (i.e. not
using the last EOL, or check more lines, to determine the EOL char)

(note: this post contains the french double quote char "<<>>" (unicode
00AB 00BB). Google groups may have botched it to <<>> or omitted it)

  Xah
  xah@xahlee.org
\xAD\xF4 http://xahlee.org/