Re: Gnus and outgoing Mail

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: Gnus and outgoing Mail
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 18:27:39 +0100

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Hi Exal and all others
>
> Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo <no-spam@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> ,----[ Configuration for gmx smtp server ]
>> |
>> |              ;; Use gmx smtp server
>> |              (message "Using gmx smtp server")
>> |             (setq starttls-use-gnutls t
>> |                   starttls-gnutls-program "gnutls-cli"
>> |                   starttls-extra-arguments nil)
>> |             (setq smtpmail-local-domain nil
>> |                   send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
>> |                   message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
>> |                   message-send-mail-partially-limit nil
>> |                   smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net"
>> |                   smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net"
>> |                   smtpmail-debug-info t
>> |                   smtpmail-debug-verb t
>> |                   smtpmail-auth-credentials "~/emacs-stuff/mailauth"
>> |                   smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("mail.gmx.net" 25 nil
>> nil))
>> |                   smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net" ))
>> |
>> `----
>
> We have tried this configuration, changing the necessaries and adding
> the personal data (user-full-name etc.). It was necessary to install
> the Debian package gnutls-bin which contains gnutls-cli. But it didn't
> work either. This is the error message:
>
> Sending via mail...
> 220 mail.gmx.net GMX Mailservices ESMTP {mp031}
> 250-mail.gmx.net GMX Mailservices
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-SIZE
> 250-AUTH=LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
> 250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
> 250 STARTTLS
> 550 5.7.0 Need to authenticate via SMTP-AUTH-Login {mp031}
> 221 2.0.0 GMX Mailservices {mp031}
> smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed; SMTP protocol error
>
> So, the authentication fails. What can be the reason? Can there be
> anything missing, perhaps on the exim side?
>
> Apropos. There is an additional ) at the end of your code. We had to
> eliminate it to have gnus come up. Is there something relevant missing
> on the top of the code or is it just part of a user-defined function
> to switch smtp alternatives?
>
> Thanks for help
>
> Sven

Are you sure port 25 with starttls is right? (i use 587 with gmail)

What do you have in "~/emacs-stuff/mailauth"?
(you can write the content of this file directly like below)

Here is my config with gmail if it can help:

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587
"my_email_adress" "my_password")))

(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)

--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu