Re: Gnus and outgoing Mail

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: Re: Gnus and outgoing Mail
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 02:16:48 +0100

Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> writes:

>  220 mail.gmx.net GMX Mailservices ESMTP {mp031}
>  250-mail.gmx.net GMX Mailservices
>  250-8BITMIME
>  250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>  250-SIZE
>  250-AUTH=LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
>  250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
>  250 STARTTLS
>  550 5.7.0 Need to authenticate via SMTP-AUTH-Login {mp031}

Does this line mean that the authentication has already failed? Or is
it the message that the authentication has started at this moment?
Does anybody know how I can get a more informative log? We have
already set smtpmail-debug-info and smtpmail-debug-verb to true.

>  221 2.0.0 GMX Mailservices {mp031}
>  smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed; SMTP protocol error
>
> I'm afraid I don't know why it's failing at this stage, but I can clear
> up one thinko... by using smtpmail you are talking directly with gmx's
> SMTP servers, so yes, you _are_ bypassing the local MTA (Exim).

Good to know. Then setting up another MTA for the system won't solve
the problem. I was in doubt anyway, since exim's mainlog doesn't
mention anything when I send a message with Gnus.

Greetings

Sven