Re: problem loading site-start after changing to emacs-22.1

From: gw
Subject: Re: problem loading site-start after changing to emacs-22.1
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 23:52:24 -0800 (PST)

On 8 Dez., 12:03, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: gw <guenter.wolp...@orsys.de>
> > Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 06:21:17 -0800 (PST)
>
> > I've been using emacs 21.3 for a long time under Win NT and now I have
> > emacs-22.1 under Win XP.
>
> > Changing the OS from NT to XP caused Emacs 21.3 to start and load site-
> > start.el correctly,
> > but a message from Windows about blocked functions appears.
>
> > Changing Emacs from 21.3 to 22.1 caused site-start.el not to work.
> > I've minimized site-start.el so that only printer-name is set up.
> > Still no
> > success and no error message, even when started with -debug-init.
>
> > Emacs is located on a network path, which is mapped as a DOS drive.
>
> > Currently I've copied site-start.el to my local computer, but this is
> > not satisfying.
>
> > Quite pobably it is some restriction from the network. Can anyone help
> > with this?
>
> Sorry, but you've left too much information out of your message, so
> it's quite difficult to help you. �First, what is in your
> site-start.el file? �Second, what did you expect to happen when
> site-start.el is loaded, and what happened instead that makes you tell
> ``no success''? �Finally, what ``message from Windows about blocked
> functions'' was displayed when you used Emacs 21.3?- Zitierten Text
> ausblenden -
>
> - Zitierten Text anzeigen -

Hello,

here some more details:

Emacs version:
This is GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE

Emacs is installed on a remote server:
\\some_server\some_directory\tools\emacs-22.1
This path is mapped to DOS drive letter Q:

emacs is started with the shortcut:
q:\tools\emacs-22.1\bin\runemacs.exe
with working directory set to
q:\tools\emacs-22.1\bin

To have a correct and minimal customization file I customized the
printer name
and saved this as local customization file:
(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(printer-name "test2"))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 )

Re-starting emacs with the local customization file is ok:
C-h v printer-name gives:
printer-name is a variable defined in `lpr.el'.
Its value is "test2"

Moving ~/.emacs to q:\tools\emacs\site-lisp\site-start.el doesn't
work.
Re-starting emacs and typing C-h v printer-name gives:
printer-name is a variable defined in `lpr.el'.
Its value is "PRN"

Then I tried to start emacs with the \\some-server\some-directory
shortcut
instead of Q:, but doesnt't change anything.

Copying the emacs directory tree to local disk (C:\) and executing
addpm.exe doesn't help either.

Maybe there's something wrong with the pre-compiled emacs version I
use?

Or are there any XP security features that block access to site-
start.el?

Guenter