Re: How to turn off conf-mode

From: Robert L Knighten
Subject: Re: How to turn off conf-mode
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 22:49:03 -0800

Rupert Swarbrick <rswarbrick@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 22:42:29 -0800, Robert L Knighten wrote:
>
>> How do I turn off conf-mode in a buffer?  Even more how do I make sure
>> it doesn't start in a buffer?  I opened a simple text file named cf.out
>> and was horrified to discover the mode is (Conf[Unix]) rather (Text
>> Fill) as I expected.  The problem appears to be the name cf, but I
>> haven't been able to find how that is forcing the mode.
>
> To "turn off" any mode, you just switch to another mode, so in your case,
> you'd want M-x text-mode (and possibly also M-x auto-fill-mode).

Yes.  Moments after I posted this I realized how silly that question was.
It's really the latter part of the question that is relevant.

> For doing this in general, you need to look at auto-mode-alist, which I
> don't know enough about to be able to help you much.

> But frankly, if it's
> just one file you may as well just do it by hand each time or maybe place
> this:
> -*- text -*-
> In the first line of the file, which is a magic command to tell emacs to
> open the file in text-mode.

The problem is that it is not just one file, and the files are neither named
nor constructed by me.

I think the relevant dotted pair in auto-mode-alist is

but I don't know what to do about it.  I don't want to simply override this
without understanding what else this will affect.

Thank you for your response.

-- Bob
--
Robert L. Knighten