Re: Help with keybinding to delete between {}

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: Re: Help with keybinding to delete between {}
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 19:59:16 -0800

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:14:12 -0800 (PST)
Xah Lee <xah@xahlee.org> wrote:

> for some reason my code in the previous post is completely non-
> functional. (i swear i used it for few months. Perhaps when i put on
> the website i got smart and edited it "for the better" without
> testing)
>
> Here's the correct version:
>
> (defun delete-enclosed-text ()
>   "Delete texts between any pair of delimiters.
> Note: if you have nested matching pairs, the cursor
> should be inside the inner most one. Else it gets confused.
> This code should to be fixed in the future."
>   (interactive)
>   (save-excursion
>     (let (p1 p2)
>       (skip-chars-backward "^(<["<<") (setq p1 (point))
>       (skip-chars-forward "^)>]">>") (setq p2 (point))
>       (delete-region p1 p2)
>     )
>   )
> )

I don't this this can be right. on a single line it has three string quotation
characters.

(defun delete-enclosed-text ()
   "Delete texts between any pair of delimiters.
 Note: if you have nested matching pairs, the cursor
 should be inside the inner most one. Else it gets confused.
 This code should to be fixed in the future."
   (interactive)
  (skip-chars-forward "^)>>")
  (delete-backward-char (skip-chars-backward "^(<<")))

this version doesn't change the mark so I dropped the save-excursion. It is not
quite right because
it does not handle nested sexp at all. I don't understand the elisp flavor of
regex yet, so it's
probably an easy fix.