language independant way to locate beginning of enclosing scope ?

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: language independant way to locate beginning of enclosing scope ?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:45:09 -0800

Hello,

I am looking for a language independent way to locate the beginning of the
enclosing scope.
Something along the lines of beginning-of-defun, in that the mode provides a
language
specific version.

My goal is to be able to set up hippie-expand tables that are scoped. A bit
more context
may help understand my goal.

I have templates that grind out code for imperative languages, the classic
example being
the for loop. I can generate code fragments along with the loop body fairly
easily.

for ( i , i < array, i++ ) {
  // elem=array[i]

}

assuming that the cursor is within the loop body it would be nice to expand
"elem"
and have it plug in the indexing fragment.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike Mattie