Better fonts on Linux with emacs22?

From: John Wells
Subject: Better fonts on Linux with emacs22?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:54:00 -0500

Guys,

I'm running emacs22 on Ubuntu (Gutsy) Linux and would like to use
cleaner looking fonts, such as Bitstream. I'm an emacs newb, so please
forgive me if this is obvious. I've read a few posts of folks being
able to do the following:

$ emacs22  --font "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-10"

But all I get is:

No fonts match `Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-10'

That happens no matter what I try:

$ emacs22  --font "Monospace"
No fonts match `Monospace'

$ emacs22  --font "Monospace-10"
No fonts match `Monospace-10'

Is there no way to do this in 22? Should I be running something else?
I really enjoy emacs so far, but the fonts are a bit painful.

Thanks!
John