annoying menu in minibuffer for selecting input charset (?)

From: bachmann
Subject: annoying menu in minibuffer for selecting input charset (?)
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 02:57:02 -0800 (PST)

hello

I'm running emacs 22.1 (standard 'csw'-configuration from
blastwave.org) on solaris (5.10) where
the 'locale' is set generally to 'en_US.UTF-8'. Whenever I run emacs I
have an annyoing 'menu' in the minibuffer
where I can switch the input charset.

I can choose from 'English/European', Cyrillic, Greek, Arabic, Hebrew,
Unicode Hex, Unicode Octal, and Lookup.

The possibility to change the input charset is nice, but the annyoing
thing is that the menu hides the rest of the minibuffer messages.
E.g., whenever I use a M-x I have to manually resize the minibuffer in
order to see what I type.

How can get rid of this menu?

Any hints are welcomed.

regards