Re: Emacs bindings in other programs

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: Emacs bindings in other programs
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:05:57 +0000 (UTC)

In article <87ir3es07k.fsf@kirt.news.arcor.de>,
Malte Spiess  <i1tnews@arcor.de> wrote:

>Please don't post the same questions in different newsgroups at the same
>time (gnu.emacs.gnus and this one).
>
>Thx
>Malte

Seems to me that cross-posting could actually be *useful*
sometimes.

At least for this:

You've got several newsgroups on (almost) totally different
subjects.  Perhaps this one and the main lisp one,  Maybe
also Haskel, say.

But they overlap in that they all make use of one particular
idea, like deep-vs-shallow (dynamic=special vs what, lexical),
each group having true gurus, say, on that subject.

Wouldn't cross-posting a question to those groups enable
a discussion across the three groups, where each group's
readers get the benefit of *all* those gurus talking
among themselves?

Would it not be especially valuable if very few of those
gurus frequented even two of the groups, to say nothing
of all three!

I mean, what other *easy* ways are there to accomplish
such a thing (getting such a discussion going)?

Especially with the three groups of *viewers* of the thread
being forced into "heroic" measures, like having to read
an agreed-upon *one* of the three groups (they've been
referred to), for 2/3rds of them perhaps a group
they would never otherwise have any interest in?

Anyway, seems reasonable to me.

And weirdly to me, very few seem to agree that this would
indeed be a "legit" use of cross-posting.

Which to this day I've never understood.

Comments?  (Flames, no, please.)

David