Why do some of my emacsen always show the "Welcome to..." screen?

From: Adam Funk
Subject: Why do some of my emacsen always show the "Welcome to..." screen?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:28:16 +0000

On some of my installations, when I run emacs (with or without -nw) it
always comes up with the "Welcome to..." screen, which disappears with
the first keypress.  (This happens on the macports and fink emacsen,
but not on the one that came with the Mac, and on one but not both of
the Ubuntu Gutsy machines that I use.)

I find this welcome screen really annoying when I pass one or more
filename arguments to emacs.  How can I suppress it?

Thanks,
Adam