Re: A Question about auctex usage in GNU Emacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: A Question about auctex usage in GNU Emacs
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 13:15:28 +0100

Santanu <thisissantanu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Dec 19, 2:07 pm, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Santanu <thisissant...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > In this situation, I was looking for a way to do the following:
>> > I manually write the "\begin{xyz}" environment, and would like
>> > Auctex to automatically insert the "\end{xyz}" at the press of
>> > some key-binding. Is this facility available via Auctex? I tried to
>> > find it in the Auctex manual, but could not find anything yet.
>

>> I find that hard to believe.  Taking a look in
>>
>> Frequently used Commands -> Environments
>>
>> via the table of contents, or using C-h i environments RET leads to a
>> chapter which right at the bottom explains how to do this.
>>
>> So, pray, where did you look in the manual?
>>
>> And it is not like the "LaTeX" menu does not have a "Close Environment"
>> menu item, either.
>
> Oops! Gosh I feel like a cartoon right now...  I dont know what I was
> thinking... I think I did a "C-h m" and thought it was the manual (I
> think I was inside the TeX-latex-mode at that time).

Well, sort of unusual for a manual...  Even then, with some imagination
the lines

[...]
C-c .           LaTeX-mark-environment
C-c : .. C-c ;  TeX-comment-or-uncomment-region
C-c ?           TeX-doc
C-c ]           LaTeX-close-environment
C-c ^           TeX-home-buffer
[...]

would have contained a pointer...

> Anyways, thanks for helping... and sorry for my stupid question.

Nothing wrong with the question.  I was just surprised that the
information should have been non-obvious in the manual.  Improving the
documentation is always a priority, but in this case I have my doubts we
could have done much better.