Re: Can Emacs beat NetBeans or Eclipse?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Can Emacs beat NetBeans or Eclipse?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 11:53:19 -0700

>> Eclipse also has some nice team features.  You can check in various
>> project files and anyone who checks out the project will automatically
>> get the right indentation settings, language compliance settings,
>> build paths, etc.

Gian> Build paths? Unless all of the team mates have the same file system
Gian> layout forget of them moving seamlessly from one user PC to another.

Gian> Even worse if they DO NOT use the same O.S.

I glossed over a detail.  Eclipse generally does the right thing here
-- when you set up your project you have it use "containers" and not
full paths.  Then entries like the JDK classes or Eclipse platform
classes are resolved on the end user's machine.  Real paths are not
generally checked in, since as you point out, that would be bad.

The auto-build stuff is not ideal in all environments.  We had mixed
results with using it for GNU Classpath, for instance, since Classpath
has a very "non-Java-like" build.

For pure Java projects, though, it is delightful.  There really isn't
a "build", in that you never have to run "make" or "ant", and the
error/warning view is more or less always up-to-date.  Once I tried
this I was hooked -- no more mucking about with build.xml or similar
trivia.

Maybe you could achieve this with flymake.  I haven't tried.

Gian> Usually, or I use ant or use Eclipse as project handler, debugger (I
Gian> don't know of something as well integrated in Emacs like gdb),
Gian> compiler -uses JDK one, AFAIK- and editor for the very little things.

Tried M-x jdb?  I haven't but I'm curious how it compares.

Gian> I would like to write an eclipse editor to reokace JDT one that uses
Gian> emacsclient like code to trigger Emacs Lisp...

Yeah.  Well, I'd really prefer the reverse -- include the nice bits of
Eclipse in Emacs.  But either way is just a dream until someone writes
it :-)

I've been meaning to give JDEE a try... while we're talking about
wishes, maybe someone could package it for ELPA ;)

Tom