Re: Storing passwords in Mew

From: Thorsten Bonow
Subject: Re: Storing passwords in Mew
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 12:16:14 +0100

>>>>> "sundarvenkata" == sundarvenkata  <sundarvenkata@gmail.com> writes:

    sundarvenkata> Is there a way to store POP passwords in mew so that I do not
    sundarvenkata> need to input the password every time I need to check email??

Hi,

if you put the following into your init file, Emacs caches the passwords in
memory for as long as Emacs is running.

(setq mew-use-cached-passwd t)

Mew has the ability to store passwords encrypted in a file, but the implications
of doing this are severe. I wouldn't recommend to just turning this option on
without having informed yourself about the consequences. Especially since you
didn't tell us about the Emacs/Mew version and the OS you're working with.

Making yourself familiar with Mew's abilities is as hard as opening the Mew info
manual and searching for "password" :-)

Happy Holidays...

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

"Fox News' Bill O'Reilly has been at the forefront in defending
Christmas, even though, until recently, Fox's own online store
invited viewers to buy an 'O'Reilly Factor' holiday ornament for
their holiday tree. In the war on Christmas, that's known as
friendly fire. ... Legend has it every time you say 'Happy
Holidays,' an angel gets AIDS." -- Jon Stewart