Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman

From: Gian Uberto Lauri
Subject: Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 11:40:51 +0100

>> OpenBSD of course. Theo de Raadt is Stallman's hero.

:)

>> Stallman could never get an F.S.F. operating system to work
>> properly. He tried to steal the Linux name as GNU/Linux but he
>> never succeeded.

Bullshit.

They tried the micokernel way  maybe w/o the required resources, since
a microkernel is much harder to debug.

But w/o GNU software the Linux  kernel should have been as useless. If
Linus could have compiled it with minix native compiler (have you ever
read what  was the Minix license at  that time or have  you ever asked
professor Tanenbaum for the compiler sources ?

BEFORE GNU/Linux  we were  using bash, gcc,  emac, bison, flex  etc on
other U*x  as a better  replacement of the  native tools. They  run on
machines very few coukd afford for  use at home. And when Linus dialed
his PC HD, friing the Minix partition, he was using gcc to compile its
tools and other  GNU tools. He even wrote the kernel  ti comply to the
tools needings. And  THAT made the Linux kernel  succesful, because it
fitted perfectly  in GNU, creating  a good unix replacement  you coukd
run on the box you could afford at home.

I> Linux is simply a shorter, easier version of saying GNU/Linux.

I> Similar to "US" being a shorter version of "USA".

Right!

I> Any GNU/Linux distro is a packaging of Linux kernel with GNU
I> programs.

All, AFAIK.

I> Most of these GNU programs (X, Gnome, KDE, binutils, gcc)
I> run under many kernels and operating systems, such as Linux, BSD,
I> Sun, MS Windows, and so on and so forth.

Xfree is not a GNU project, and Xorg too. But what you say is right.

And, again, did it BEFORE the Linux kernel was written.

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word