Re: SV: Post script printing from emacs

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: SV: Post script printing from emacs
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 16:04:04 +0100

Am 04.01.2008 um 13:42 schrieb Thor Nordstrand:

Do you know how to override these settings from my .emacs file?

There are two ways: either

        (require 'vhdl-mode)

(when the ELisp file has a provide statement) to make GNU Emacs aware of this mode, its functions, and variables and then make your corrective settings, or use a hook. Like in

        (add-hook 'vhdl-mode-hook
            (lambda ()
            (setq ...)
            (message "vhdl-mode-hook applied")
        )

which will be executed whenever vhdl-mode is being initiated for a buffer. Take care that no recursion occurs.

A third method can be to edit loadup.el or its local variant to load vhdl-mode.el when GNU Emacs is created. Then the require statement in ~/.emacs is not needed.

Should I go into my vhdl-mode.elc to make the changes, changes in the vhdl-mode.el file does not seem to have any effect?

It makes no sense to change the ELC files: it's derived from the EL file by byte-compiling it. And it's rather nasty binary. You have functions like byte-compile-file or batch-byte-compile, I think Lisp- mode allows to byte-compile the buffer you're just working in, and finally in dired-mode you can simply type B, dired-do-byte-compile. So you can edit vhdl-mode.el and just need to byte-compile it afterwards, after saving it.

And from this it makes no sense to attach an ELC file ...

--
Greetings

  Pete

People say that if you play Microsoft CD's backwards, you hear satanic things, but that's nothing, because if you play them forwards, they install Windows.