Re: Is there a mod-emacs?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Is there a mod-emacs?
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 16:56:17 +1100

thorne <thorne@timbral.net> writes:

> Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:
>
>> There is an emacs elisp httpd server (at least there use to be one), but no
>> mod_emacs that I'm aware of.
>
> I wonder about the security of such a thing.  But it would be fun to try
> getting it to serve my personal web page.
>
>> Of course, this is a rather resource expensive way of serving a few pages -
>> you would always have to have an emacs image loaded or accept fairly slow
>>
>> I think a better solution would be to add a hook to the org mode save
>> function that does an automatic export as html whenever the org file is
>> updated. The pages can then be served by a regular httpd process and as a
>> new export is done whenever the org file is saved, the pages will always be
>> up-to-date (provided they are edited by emacs of course).
>
> True, but the fun would be in using Emacs to do dynamically generated
> pages.  Emacs could be the world's slowest Web Application
> Framework(tm).

...and there is nothing wrong with trying to do something just to see if it
can be done. I've never written an apache module, but suspect it could be a
little difficult to do a true mod_emacs. It would be interesting to see if
you could do something using the new emacs multiple tty support through
emacs server.

Another approach that might be interesting is to create an emacs lisp
package for common lisp. You could then take advantage of mod_lisp. Not
sure how you would handle the lisp1 vs lisp2 differences, but I suspect it
would be possible. In fact, its probably fairly straight-forward to
implement elisp inside common lisp - going the other direction may prove
difficult (I'm talking ansi compatibility not just function compatibility
as is provided by the 'cl package).

Certainly could be an interesting project for someone wanting something to
sink their teeth into and get to actually know elisp.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au