Re: `global-set-key' doesn't work in my console

From: Forrest
Subject: Re: `global-set-key' doesn't work in my console
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 00:32:05 +0800

> Mike Mattie writes:

> > try a space like this:
> > (kbd "C-c ,")
>
> Have you tried this? It won't work.

i tried, it worked

> > If that fixes it try using a function I previously posted that eliminates
> > the errors from the process of defining keys.
>
> If it were so simple don't you think Emacs would do this?
>
> > (defun insert-key-notation ()
> > "inject a complete \(kbd \"sequence\"\) with key notation for a key sequence given by prompt"
> > (interactive)
> > (insert "(kbd \"")
> > (insert (format-kbd-macro (read-key-sequence "Key? " nil t)))
> > (insert "\")"))
> >
> > it will define the kbd sexp for you after it prompts you for the key sequence.
>
> It looks like the reason that it doesn't work has already been explained but
> Forrest has decided not to accept the answer (or perhaps there is a
> communication problem)...

that's what you think, not what i think

> > > C-x C-c work well in console, so i guess there must be something
> > > wrong with my key-binding settings. and also, emacs was designed in
> > > ages when X was not popular, it's unreasonable that custom
> > > key-binding doesn't work
>
> Do "man ascii". This is 128 character set and 96, or thereabout, are printing
> characters. If there were a control character counterpart for each one that
> would result in 192 character set. Presumably control characters only exist
> for C-@ to C-_ (0 to 32, @ to _ being 64 to 96).

thank you for your patience, however, do you mean that only printing characters and C-@ to C-_ can be processed by emacs?
then what if you press F1~F12? and Home, End, Del, Ins? and Left, Right, Up, Down?

96 + (96 - 64) = 128  i hope i had understood you

> > > i'm a newbie, could you give me any detailed clue to solve it?
>
> On a normal console, I don't think you can.
>
> --
> Nick http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob

Forrest

--