problem re-search with the \| op.

From: rtra
Subject: problem re-search with the \| op.
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:44:19 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I'm having problems searching for a regular expression matching two
alternatives, A or B.
A = "#title "
B = "\* [A-Z][a-z]+.*"
and allow '.' (dot) to be string concatenation

(re-search-backward A 1 t) matches the string A as I intended, and
(re-search-backward B 1 t) also matches B as intended, but
(re-search-backward A."\|".B 1 t) does not matches A or B as I thought
it should

I'm using GNU Emacs 22.1.1, and testing this with a file like
#title test
* tset

<point is here>

Thank you for you time.
(I've wasted some in the manual, but I'm not figuring this out...)

Rui Almeida