Re: Anything like this exist already? (buffer name intelligence)

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Anything like this exist already? (buffer name intelligence)
Date: 11 Jan 2008 19:08:23 GMT

Aaron Maxwell wrote:
> I've taken to renaming such buffers with a prefix in their file path, just
> enough to make them unique: i.e., for "/home/amax/src/snazzylib/__init__.py",
> I might rename its buffer from "__init__.py" to "snazzylib/__init__.py".  And
> I wrote a utility to automate this, which I've pasted below.  I bind it to
> C-c e, and thus can quickly give a new buffer a clueful name without
> interrupting myself to think about it.

mmm. i have the following in my .emacs:

(toggle-uniquify-buffer-names)

which seems to do the same thing, only automatically. (it even renames the
buffer back to __init__.py when only one such file is left open.)

> Am I reinventing the wheel here?

looks like it. ;-)

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com