Re: attaching to a running emacs process under linux?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: attaching to a running emacs process under linux?
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:24:21 +0200

> From: ivowel <ivowel@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 18:18:18 -0800 (PST)
>

> is there a way to send a shell signal to ask emacs nicely to save all
> its open buffers?  I sometimes forget to save my buffers, then go
> somewhere else and ssh into the original machine, just to find that
> emacs still has my unsaved changes.

Read about sigusr1 and sigusr2 events in the "Misc Events" node of the
ELisp manual.  You will need to write some Lisp in your ~/.emacs to
bind these events to some function that calls save-some-buffers or
some such.

If worse comes to worst, you can always send SIGTERM to Emacs: Emacs
always auto-saves before it terminates in an abnormal fashion.