Re: Beginning Hobbyist Programmer Question

From: Stefan Kamphausen
Subject: Re: Beginning Hobbyist Programmer Question
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:05:30 +0100

signups17@gmail.com writes:

> Can anyone provide a cogent explanation for why I should take the time
> to climb that learning curve? What are the benefits, as you see them?

Because in the end you will have /one/ tool to do almost all of your
typing ([1]) which will fit your needs /exactly/ ([2]).  You will
never want to use something else.  And of course: it's fun ([3]).

If I had no Emacs I were no programmer.

Regards,
Stefan

Footnotes:
[1]  E.g.: Programming (C, C++, Perl, Python, Ruby, Java, Common
     Lisp, Elisp, Bash, whatever), Writing (HTML, XML, LaTeX, groff,
     plain text, emails, news, edit your oddmusewikis, whatever)

[2]  Keybindings as you want them, code-templates, dabbrev,
     spell-checker integration, your own extensions, things you found
     on the 'net, integrated shell, integrated terminal, CVS and SVN
     frontends, planning (org, planner, calendar, remember), etc.pp.

[3]  E.g. writing elisp, finding astonishing features (like these
     footnote-adding functions ;-)

--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)