Re: writing Python in Emacs

From: Jorgen Grahn
Subject: Re: writing Python in Emacs
Date: 20 Jan 2008 14:35:26 GMT

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.python.]

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:51:50 +0100, Terry Jones <terry@jon.es> wrote:

>Richard> I am a devoted Emacs user and I write a lot in Python.
>
> Me too.
>
>Richard> I need the following features:
>
>Richard> 1) Tab completion, ideally Slime like. That is, when there's not
>Richard> enough letters to unambiguously complete a symbol, I want it to
>Richard> show a buffer (w/o taking the focus) w/ the possible
>Richard> completions. In an ideal world, it would be able to complete
>Richard> fo.ba<TAB> to foo.bar. I imagine this would require quite tight
>Richard> Emacs-Python integration.
>
> I know this is not what you want, but I use hippie expand (M-/) to cycle
> through possible completions. It's not Python aware, but it is of some use.

Also known as dabbrev-expand, and tied to Ctrl-TAB.

I like it *a lot*, and I like it even more because it *isn't* Python
aware. I can use the same function no matter what I am typing, often
with files noone would dream of writing a mode for.

>Richard> 4) (optional) I would like to see the definition of a function
>Richard> function or class by hitting M-. on its name. (I understand that
>Richard> this may be impossible for methods, as Emacs would have to
>Richard> automagically infer the type of the object).
>
> This is just an emacs tag file need. Have you googled for something like
> emacs tags python?

Tags works fine, or at least as well as can be expected.  I use the
'etags' which comes with 'ctags', apparently.

> If you have the time, please summarize your findings. The emacs/python
> world has always seemed quite amorphous to me too.

I don't know; python-mode colorizes well and it knows how to help me
keep the indentation sane.  The Eclipse users I have seen seem to have
more problems than I have, for example.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/     snipabacken.se>          R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!