Re: Starting emacs in ediff mode.

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: Starting emacs in ediff mode.
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:36:05 +0100

reader@newsguy.com writes:

> "Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Of course you can run emacsclient so it will start Emacs if it is not
>> running; that's what the --alternate-editor option is for. The trick,
>> of course, is that --alternate-editor doesn't run Emacs as a server
>> connected to the emacsclient instance that started it. That does not
>> preclude using it as default viewer/editor in all cases, just the ones
>> where it is automatically run from a tool that expects it to be done
>> when emacsclient returns (for example, in many VCS when emacsclient is
>> used as the editor for the commit logs).
>
> Sorry to butt in here... I'm a (lightweight) user of emacs considering
> starting to use emacsclient.
>
> What does your comment mean practically (aside from VCS usage).
>
> My usage is pretty basic.  Scripting, gnus, file and directory
> manipulation,  bbdb, tramp.... probably a few other things I forgot.

Actually:
when you use emacsclient, this one use a running emacs session.
if there is no emacs session it fail, except if you use the -a option
(alternate editor)
you can use a script to do that:(you can assign your script to $EDITOR)

emacsclient -a emacs "$@"

Look on emacswiki for more sophisticated scripts.

What they want to do (i think):
when you start emacsclient, if no emacs session is found, start an emacs
session with the server corresponding to the emacsclient you have
already started (ouf!).
It should be great. :)

--
A + Thierry