Re: Mysterious hidden end of line characters.

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: Mysterious hidden end of line characters.
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:20:07 +0100

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

> David <dpleydel@univ-fcomte.fr> writes:
>

>> Ha ha, I thought someone might spot this. After 2 years of emacs use I
>> still have one or two newbie feathers lerking in my plummage. I do use
>> *shell* buffers alot, but there is some terminal functionality which I
>> do not have.
>>
>> Examples of commands in a *shell* buffer which for me don't work as in
>> a terminal include
>>
>> 1) shell_prompt:~$ man pwd ## (or any other command), this gives
>> something rather unfriendly in emacs. Only today did I discover M-x
>> man was the proper way to do this. Nice feature, but rather
>> non-evident to the newbie. Why is *shell* not totally equivelent to a
>> terminal?
>
> The command M-x shell gives you a 'dumb' terminal. This means any
> program that relies on terminal IO to display correctly wil fail. for
> programs like this, use M-x term.
>

>> 2) shell_prompt:~$ grass ## Similarly to typing man at the prompt, the
>> lack of terminal functionality used to prevent me from passing the
>> terminal based setup page. I recently discoverred the solution (for
>> older versions of GRASS) was to add a flag specifying a GUI setup
>> page. Also updating to more recent versions appears to avoid this
>> problem. So now I am finally using GRASS in emacs (horrah!).
>>

> Again, M-x term may be a better solution. Of course, you could just
> write a special grass-mode and stick it up on emacswiki :)
>
>> 3) shell_prompt:~$ mutt ## Similarly, I cannot find a way to navigate
>> my mail boxes using mutt inside emacs. Emacs just isn't displaying
>> anything that would normally appear in the terminal apart from when I
>> hit q it asks if I really want to quit - of course I do, I can't see
>> anything! The best I can do is to run mutt in the terminal, pass to
>> emacs to write messages and pass back to the terminal to handle
>> attachments etc. What am I missing?
>>

> I think there may be amode out there for running mutt in emacs. However,
> maybe switch to a native emacs mail client. If you use IMAP, you could
> use one of the many emacs mail clients that support imap and then when
> your not in emcs, you can use mutt and still have access to all your
> mail. There are also interfaces to gmail.
>
>> 4) shell_prompt:~$ su ## I never like moving to super user in emacs
>> because the password appears on screen as I type it. So all
>> administration is terminal based for me. How to hide passwords as a
>> terminal would?

If you start emacs with LC_ALL=C the prompt for password will be
Password:
and will be hidden.
The problem is when locale is french or else maybe, the regex that
match "Mot de passeĀ :" don't exist.

I tried to modify it but without success .
It is in comint.el:

(defcustom comint-password-prompt-regexp
  "\\(\\(Enter \\|[Oo]ld \\|[Nn]ew \\|'s \\|login \\|\
Kerberos \\|CVS \\|UNIX \\| SMB \\|LDAP \\|\\[sudo] \\|^\\)\
\[Pp]assword\\( (again)\\)?\\|\
pass phrase\\|\\(Enter \\|Repeat \\|Bad \\)?[Pp]assphrase\\)\
  "*Regexp matching prompts for passwords in the inferior process.
This is used by `comint-watch-for-password-prompt'."
  :type 'regexp
  :group 'comint)

If some body find how to modify that it's welcome

--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu