Re: mode line mouse copy

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: mode line mouse copy
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 00:00:30 +0100

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:32:32 -0400 Edward Susko <susko@mathstat.dal.ca> wrote:

> Can the mode line mouse commands be turned off so that, for instance,
> dragging mouse 1 over the buffer name copies it to the clipboard?

I don't think this is possible without modifying Emacs's C source code.
However, you might find the following useful or adaptable to your
purposes:

(defun srb-display-mode-line-string(&optional arg)
  "Display the unpropertized mode-line string in the echo area.
With prefix argument ARG, insert it at point in the current buffer."
  (interactive "P")
  (let ((mode-line-string
         (eval-expression '(format-mode-line mode-line-format 0))))
    (and arg (insert mode-line-string))))
(global-set-key "\C-cf" 'srb-display-mode-line-string)

Steve Berman