RE: emacs on windows

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: emacs on windows
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 19:00:43 -0800

> 1. Is there some help/wiki etc for folks like me -- migrating from
> linux to windows?
> 2. Do people using emacs on windows prefer cygwin-emacs to native
> windows emacs?

Others will give you additional (and perhaps contradictory ;-)) help, but
here are my 2 cents:

1. Emacs Wiki is your friend: http://www.emacswiki.org. You will find lots
of help there for using Emacs with Windows. This category page is a good
starting place: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryWThirtyTwo.

2. There is a mailing list just for Emacs on Windows:
help-emacs-windows@gnu.org. Also very helpful.

3. I use Cygwin with a native Windows build of Emacs. I don't use a Cygwin
build of Windows. Either way, Cygwin is great. No problems with paths, and
so on.

4. See Lennart Borgman's EmacsW32 installer for Emacs on Windows. It
includes several special features (customizations). I prefer to use a
vanilla Emacs Windows binary, but I think most people use EmacsW32:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsW32.

HTH.