Re: Compilation window in other frame only

From: Joel J. Adamson
Subject: Re: Compilation window in other frame only
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 09:58:04 -0500

Martin <loveslave@frustratedhousewives.zzn.com> writes:

> I like to have two frames in my programming sessions: one with a few
> windows with source files, and one (on a second monitor) with the
> compilation buffer. However, even if I have a second frame with the
> *compilation* buffer open, Emacs opens a new window in the "source
> file frame" with another copy of the compilation buffer. I think it
> wasn't like this earlier. Then, Emacs didn't open a new window if
> there was one already open in another frame. I'm using GNU Emacs
> 23.0.60.1 now. How can this behaviour be controlled?

That sounds annoying. M-x customize-group RET frames RET

Also try customizing iswitchb-mode (or try using it), since it can
control how switching buffers interacts with switching windows and
frames.

One suggestion that I follow is to just use one frame and always have
another window open; I use Emacs in full screen on a widescreen monitor
and keep dired on the right and my work on the left a-la Speedbar.
Another layout that works well is to have three windows: one on the
bottom (vertically divided) and two on top (horizontally divided):

+------------------+
-         -        -
- work    - dired  -
-         -  or    -
-         - more   -
-         - work   -
+------------------+
-  compilation     -
+------------------+

This way I get the benefit of full-screen (no distractions and no
mucking about with frames --- frames are over-rated).  As long as I have
more than one window open, compilation always opens in another window.
There's also winner-mode, and saving window configurations in registers,
which I find slightly less useful than bookmarks (and I rarely use
bookmarks).

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson