Re: opening large files (few hundred meg)

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: opening large files (few hundred meg)
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 17:42:58 +0100

Jason Rumney <jasonrumney@gmail.com> writes:

> Such solutions have been proposed before, but the likely way that a
> user will navigate through such a huge file is by searching, so just
> paging parts of the file in and out is only part of the solution, it
> must also offer searching to be useful.

For the record, I tried to implement this some time ago:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/VLF

First I used head and tail, then I used insert-file-contents with beg
and end arguments and ran into the integer problem. However, if one
would switch back to use head and tail (or whatever other tool you
prefer), I am sure this will be possible if we use floating point
numbers instead. If someone would like to extend my hack with this,
feel free to do so, at least you have something to start with.

Read the wiki page, read the code.

/Mathias