Re: set UTF-8 for a file (HTML)

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: set UTF-8 for a file (HTML)
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:04:56 +0100

+ ken <gebser@speakeasy.net>:

> I'm editing an HTML file (in emacs, of course) and want to preserve
> the utf-8 encoding when the file is opened in subsequent sessions.  I
> know I can put a line at the top of the file which will set a variable
> in emacs whenever the file is opened.  So what should this line say to
> specify that the file is encoded in utf-8?

If you're using HTML mode, just specifying

in the head element of the file should do it.

Otherwise, a generic method for specifying the coding to emacs is
having -*- coding: utf-8 -*- in the first line of the file.  You should
typically protect that by putting in a comment, as follows:

<!-- -*- coding: utf-8 -*- -->

  -- Bertrand Russell