Re: .Xresources

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: .Xresources
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:36:42 +1100

> Am 12.02.2008 um 21:46 schrieb Sean Sieger:
>
>> If I have
>>
>> Emacs.pointerColor: red
>>
>> in my .Xresources, then why would it still be white?
>
> Because mine is red now! Although I have:
>
>       Emacs*pointerColor:     DarkOrchid4
>
> Actually it's red in all my GNU Emacsen 23.0.x ... Looks like a bug.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most people use
> Windows, is like saying that all other restaurants serve  food that is
> inferior to McDonald's.

I have mine set to white and its white. This is in emacs 22.1 and CVS
emacs

The problem may be related to how your .Xresources is loaded (i.e. xrdb
load versus xrdb merge) and how you define the resource
e.g. Emacs.pointerColor versus emacs.pointerColor versus
Emacs*ponterColor etc.

I'd try an xrdb load and see if that helps (working from memory, but I
think when you do a merge, your local .Xresources won't override a more
'specific' setting that may be in a site wide app-defaults file. Check
the manual for xrdb - its been a long time since I last read it and I
could easily be wrong.

Other possible causes -

- Some window managers can override things - notably KDE
- .emacs settings will override .Xresources I think because they are
  loaded last. Maybe there is a setting in there
- Using the color themes package with a theme that sets the pointer
- color.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au