Re: remapping keys

From: Juanma
Subject: Re: remapping keys
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 03:01:14 +0100

On Monday 18 February 2008 18:00, Seldon wrote:
> [...]
> > I personally prefer to do those kinds of "inconvenient keyboard" things
> > globally by choosing another keyboard layout (e.g. with
> > gnome-keyboard-properties).
>
> I would prefer a more selective approach, remapping only the keys I need.

Try with function keyboard-translate.

You say you are newbie with Emacs. You might discover you need to change too
many things. Just a couple of examples:
*  dabbrev-expand (M-/)
*  undo vs. negative-argument (C-_ vs. C--). Actually, undo is best located in
C-/, but not in your layout.

I moved from the Spanish layout (similar to Italian) to a dual (switching)
layout: US std. / US intl. w/ deadkeys (gives you all latin-1 characters).
Now the slash is one easy hit away and so is the single quote mark. I'm not
going back to Spanish layout even if I have to use a Spanish keyboard.

Juanma
"No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite
 sin greater than central air."
    -- Azrael, in film "Dogma" (Kevin Smith, 1999)