Re: records-mode ?

From: William Xu
Subject: Re: records-mode ?
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 00:25:20 +0900

Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

>    > After having tried Org Mode, Muse, Howm (a little) they are
>    > really good package but too feature full and none offer a good
>    > indexing system to retrieve informations quickly and easily
>    > (except by adding links here and there).
>
>    How does `outline-mode' feel?  I use it for keeping various notes.
>
> Does it have something like an index of notes to quickly know
> where to retrieve a note/information ?

It has an index, like an index of a book, a pdf document.  You can
toggle index mode or full display mode, hide/display some specific
section. Give an example,

,----[ show all ]

`----

`----

,----[ show only today ]
| * this month..
| ** today
|
|  Nice day.
|
| ** tomorrow..
| * next month..
`----

The above should give you a feel of it.

> This is a major
> requirement for me. In records-mode, pressing C-c C-j, I have an
> index buffer which shows a list of keywords and the respective
> notes entries (There is something close to this in notes-mode).

index buffer?  So there are multiple buffers?  Oh, outline has only one.

> As Bastien said, maybe I am misusing Org. Maybe Org is really
> what I want but concentrating only on the note taking aspect and
> not using planning/todo handling.

planning/todo thing also keeps me away. I used to try to learn
planner.el(part of Muse now?), which turned out rather too complicated
to me. This experience also makes me dare not try org mode yet.

> As far as I remember, org-mode and remember has turned out very
> good combination by the past _but_, I always feel lost when it
> comes to « searching » informations -ie. I do not like the search
> process.
>
> What I need, if I go back to Org, is a setup like this:
>
> #1. One note page per day classified ala notes-mode (and I also
>     want to have the possibility to have notes not related to dates
>     -ie. independant notes (by, say, subject)
> #2. An index of all my note entries (with quick search on
>     keywords, tags, etc.)
> #3. I want to be able to narrow on a note entry (this is easy in
>     every mode I have tried)
> #4. navigation facilities to previous/next day (as is done by
>     records-mode and notes-mode). This is an important point for
>     my job position.
>
> Free form notes taking is, off course, a _must have_ for me.

I think outline supports all above, except that I don't understand the
keywords, tags thing in #2.  Outline mode probably has no such thing.

--
William