Re: Enlarging the question Was: Re: Does pclcvs support ssh protocol ?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Enlarging the question Was: Re: Does pclcvs support ssh protocol ?
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 01:34:53 -0500

> One thing you can do also is using sshfs: You can mount the file
> system where your cvs repo is and then commit locally your
> changes.(thought not all server autorize that)

I strongly discourage you from accessing your CVS repository
through sshfs.  A CVS repository accessed through a network file system
will be slow and inefficient, but most importantly it is dangerous
because CVS's locking will most likely not work as it should, so you
risk losing data in your repository.

In many circumstances this risk is tiny (e.g. if there's only ever
1 person accessing the repository and this person only ever uses
a single machine at a time), but there are many other circumstances
where this risk is very real.

        Stefan