Re: Piping output to a buffer

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Piping output to a buffer
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:11:20 -0500

In article <853arhy156.fsf@lola.goethe.zz>, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
wrote:

> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > In article <877igtho8a.fsf@celephais.home.net>,
> >  cothrige <cothrige@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I have noticed that in vim one can invoke an external command and pipe
> >> the output into the current buffer via the `!!` or `:r!` commands.
> >> While I have not made a habit of really using this command in vim, as I
> >> have also not made a habit of using vim, I did realize that this could
> >> be a really useful capability.  So, how might one do this in emacs?
> >
> > C-u M-!
>
> !! pipes the current line through the external command.  The Emacs
> equivalent to that would be marking the line and then using
>
> C-u M-|
>
> I consider it more likely that your variant will be needed, however:
> more often than not, !! eating the current line is a nuisance rather
> than a benefit in vi.

Actually, I tend to use C-u M-| more often than C-u M-!.  For instance,
when I want to reformat a file in the current buffer using awk, I use
C-u M-|.  Had I realized that the vi commands the OP was talking about
piped the buffer contents into the command, I would have mentioned M-|
in my response.

I use M-! frequently as well, but I hardly ever insert the output into
the buffer.  I usually use it just to run quick commands without
switching to and cluttering up my shell buffer.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA