Re: Too small fonts after Emacs-Snapshot update

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Too small fonts after Emacs-Snapshot update
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 19:30:27 +1100

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:
>
>> I've now downgraded my Emacs version to 23.0.50 again. I think I
>> will be happier with this one.
>
> Or you could keep the latest snapshot and use --disable-font-backend,
> I guess.

I've found that even if you have built emacs with --enable-font-backend,
you can still use the normal fonts. I wasn't even aware that (for
example) your emacs-snapshot was being built with --enable-font-backend
and had just left my .Xresources Emacs.font: as it always has been - no
issues and no observable difference from earlier versions of either
emacs-snapshot or running emacs22.

I am currently dealing with a very odd problem though. I have two
machines, both running Debian. One one machine (this one) both
emacs-snapshot and an emacs I've built myself from CVS are working
fine. No issues.

However, on the other machine I get weird errors about void function
definitions, signal 11 segfaults, and other 'weirdness' in both the
latest emacs-snapshot and emacs built from CVS. The only real difference
between the two machines is that the one I'm having problems with has
been running Debian since 2001, upgrading from (I think)
potato/woody. The other machine was a fresh Debian install about 12
months ago. I suspect it could be some bit of 'kruft' left over from a
dist upgrade. Frustrating because its my work machine and I've not got
time to chase down the problme just now. Had to revert back to emacs22
until I get time to sort things out.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au