Latin characters not antialiased in CVS emacs

From: cube15
Subject: Latin characters not antialiased in CVS emacs
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 06:31:24 -0800 (PST)

I've been searching all day long for this on the net and I'm not even getting
close to solving it. It's as a matter of fact the first Linux problem which
I decided to describe on a forum.

I've compiled emacs from CVS, because I wanted the fonts antialiased in X.
Here are the arguments which i passed to ./configure:
./configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk --enable-font-backend --with-xft
--with-freetype

During the compilation I had to switch emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el to
it's previous version (it refused to make bootstrap):
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el?root=emacs&r1=1.109&r2=1.110

After that emacs compiled flawlessy.

Now everything seems cool, but Polish diacritic signs aren't antialiased. It
seems like emacs is using another font to display them.

In my .emacs I have only this:
(set-default-font "monospace-10")

Here's a screenshot:
http://flickr.com/photos/19161668@N06/2307456983/sizes/o/

I wonder if someone could help me with this. I found that I should put this
into .emacs:
(set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'latin '("monospace" ."unicode-bmp"))
Of course it didn't work. I also tried:
(set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'latin-iso8859-2 '("monospace"
."unicode-bmp"))
and several other variations.

What is interesting, I also didn't have the euro sign antialiased but after
puting
(set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'gb18030 '("monospace". "unicode-bmp"))
into my .emacs file emacs started to show it antialiased.

I'm a little bit confused with this and I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance ;)