SMTP library problem

From: James Long
Subject: SMTP library problem
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 13:09:36 -0500

I hope this is the appropriate place to ask this question - I couldn't
find any mailing lists specific to SMTP.  I couldn't find where to
subscribe to this mailing list so you may have to include my address
in the reply.

I'm using the standard SMTP library that comes with Emacs (I am using
Carbon Emacs 22.1).  The connection requires SSL and password
authentication.  Whenever I try to send a message, Emacs simply
freezes up.  Here are my connection settings; I have tried both
gnutls-cli and starttls (using the variable which toggles which one to
use, I forget the name of it).

(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "~server~")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service ~port~)
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("~server~" ~port~ "~user~" "~pass~")))
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
(setq smtpmail-debug-verb t)

I'm sure my credentials, server, and port are correct, and that the
server is fine.  I don't get anything in the SMTP trace buffer.  I
suppose I should figure out how to use edebug, which I will attempt
later on.

Could one of my libraries be out of date?  gnutls-cli (I have version
2.3.1), or smtpmail.el, or something else?

Thanks,

--
James Long