Re: How can all incoming emails be retained and copies are forwarded to

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: How can all incoming emails be retained and copies are forwarded to gmail ?...
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 13:59:32 +0000

Hi Don,

Don Saklad <dsaklad@zurich.csail.mit.edu> writes:

> On a debian linux system how can all incoming emails be retained
> and copies of all emails are forwarded to gmail ?... particulars
> include

1. If you don't use fetchmail already, install it.  In a shell:

   ~$ sudo apt-get install fetchmail

2. If you don't use procmail already, install it.  In a shell:

   ~$ sudo apt-get install procmail

3. Setup fetchmail to fetch your emails and to filter them thru
   procmail.  Edit ~/.fetchmailrc like this:

   poll mail.server.org with proto POP3
      user 'your_address@gmail.com' there with password 'your_password' is
your_username here fetchall
      mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d your_user_name"

   Of course you have to replace mail.server.org, your_user_name and
   your_password with relevant values.

4. Edit ~/.procmailrc with this minimal setup:

   :0 c
   ! your_address@gmail.com

That's it.  You have told fetchmail to fetch your emails, to filter them
through procmail and procmail will send a copy to your gmail account.

> How can the mail transfer agent be identified?... maybe exim?

You don't really need to know this.

> How would a nonprogrammer, dyslexic maybe, ADD maybe,
> set it up on a debian linux system?...

~$ man fetchmail
~$ man procmail
~$ man procmailex

... and good will.

> In emacs, difficulty filtering the spamassassin headers not being a
> programmer.

First solve the first problems, then this one.

> "Someday we'll have real computers and not have to know this stuff !"

Trying to put a computer in slavery is the best way to stay a computer's
slave.  Learn computers, they will cooperate.

HTH,

--
Bastien