Re: File name completion on Mac OS X with German umlauts

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: File name completion on Mac OS X with German umlauts
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:14:54 +0100

Am 11.03.2008 um 22:24 schrieb Markus:

But I'm out of here and won't investigate any further. I just deal with it until it will be hopefully fixed one day or find some alternative ... but is there an alternative to Emacs??? ;-))

There might be two: Emacs.app, based on GNU Emacs 23.0.60, the Unicode Emacs, and GNU Emacs 23.0.60 as X client. Both can be compiled from source.

Leopard, Mac OS X 10.5, offers an up-to-date X server at least – and it must be based on X11R7.x, probably X11R7.2. X11 can have a real process environment that is inherited from the X server.

Emacs.app (http://emacs-app.sourceforge.net/) does not use Carbon, but Cocoa. It's still unfinished, it has no SVG support. There is a problem with preview-mode in AUCTeX. It does neither use htmlize-view nor mac-print for printing. Real α!

In the next few months its code will be integrated into CVS HEAD, i.e. the code of GNU Emacs 23.0.60, the development version of stable GNU Emacs. Since GNU Emacs 23.0.x does not support Carbon builds, it's likely that Emacs.app will become the native Mac OS X Emacs. Some Carbon Emacs developers are already working on code Emacs.app can use.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Some day we may discover how to make magnets that can point in any direction.