Re: code completion

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: code completion
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:06:17 +0000

Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

> However, it would be wrong to say all is flowers and sunshine. It is not
> and an honest answer (from my perspective) is more respectful at times.

If someone requests improvements for a feature in Emacs (e.g. code
refactoring) it is honest to tell about the shortcomings of its current
implementation.  It is depressing to recommand the OP to have a look at
other editors, not because it is dishonest, but because such an advice
won't help make the Emacs implementation better.

And the more constructive way is to give directions on how to help
improving the feature.

Imagine this: you create a new tool (say bzr) that aims at being better
than others (say CVS, RCS) wrt some features.  When you start coding the
tool, it is still behind the other ones.  Now imagine that someone likes
your tool and asks about a feature.  What if someone else recommends the
OP to switch to another tool, just because your tool (the one he uses)
doesn't have this feature ?

I guess you woudn't find this constructive...

--
Bastien