Re: File name completion on Mac OS X with German umlauts

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: File name completion on Mac OS X with German umlauts
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:18:26 +0100

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>  I see no difference here: in both case the bytestreams are different.
>  The fact that Unicode sees one case but not the other as two
>  equivalent strings, is irrelevant here, because file names are not
>  simple text strings, they have other semantics.

I think we're accidentally rehearsing a recent discussion on the git
developer's list :)

You're approaching the issue (I think) from the low-level, operating
system side, while I'm approaching it from the high-level, user side.
To me, of course the most important semantics of a filename is how it
does appear to the user. I don't want "readme" and "README" to be two
different files, for example. I'm strongly in favor of the
case-folding-to compare, case-preserving-to-store side.

>  Anyway, we are not talking about fonts, nor about Unicode decisions
>  wrt character equivalency.  We (at least I) were talking about the
>  ``problem'' that several files have the same name if a file name is to
>  be interpreted as a text string.  As I said, I see no problem here,
>  just entrenched customs.

>From my point of view, of course it is a problem. But I suppose
there's no point in discussing it.

 Juanma