Re: File name completion on Mac OS X with German umlauts

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: File name completion on Mac OS X with German umlauts
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:49:38 +0100

"Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>>  I see no difference here: in both case the bytestreams are different.
>>  The fact that Unicode sees one case but not the other as two
>>  equivalent strings, is irrelevant here, because file names are not
>>  simple text strings, they have other semantics.

I think that depends on the file system.  If the file system is ignorant
of encodings (like a .txt file is) then I agree its irrelevant.

But if the file system specifies an encoding (like an .xml file does) the
appropriate semantics /should/ apply.

> To me, of course the most important semantics of a filename is how it
> does appear to the user. I don't want "readme" and "README" to be two
> different files, for example. I'm strongly in favor of the
> case-folding-to compare, case-preserving-to-store side.

That, of course, opens another can of worms, because capitalization
isn't absolute.  "i" and "I" are equal files for you, but in Turkey
they are distinct files... Unicode equality is well-defined, at least.

> From my point of view, of course it is a problem. But I suppose
> there's no point in discussing it.

I suppose.  I didn't really want to start a discussion about the
file-system part anyway.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher