Re: Suppressing load messages

From: Brendan Halpin
Subject: Re: Suppressing load messages
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:54:45 +0000

jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

> Brendan Halpin <brendan.halpin@ul.ie> writes:
>
>> jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:
>>
>>> If you want behavior like Perl or Python (output to STDOUT), then you
>>> should figure out a way to divert STDERR from inside Emacs.  I tried
>>
>> That's not necessary, since the print family of commands will write to
>> STDOUT, and it is useful to be able to use message to write to STDERR.
>
> Huh?  Then what do you want?  Do you want to see only STDOUT on the
> screen?  Do you want to capture it in a file?

I think we're talking at cross purposes. What I'm moaning about is that
there is that even with "--script" there is a lot of unnecessary loading
going on, with the most visible effect of lots of chatter on STDERR.
Simply, that makes Emacs less useful for writing little self-executable
shell utilities.

What would be nice would be to be able to write hash-bang utilities in
Emacs that behave like any other, with output going to STDOUT and
errors/warnings going to STDERR. We're not quite there yet but it
shouldn't be impossible. Maybe I should talk to the emacs-devel list.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin,  Department of Sociology,  University of Limerick,  Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147