Re: Emacsw32 fullscreen

From: Evans Winner
Subject: Re: Emacsw32 fullscreen
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:57:45 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

    >> Is there a way to send a keystroke to the underlying
    >> OS or window manager from Emacs?  I am trying to get
    >> a true fullscreen (no titlebar) in Emacsw32.  f11
    >> seems to be getting trapped by Emacs (and conkeror
    >> too, by the way).

    "C-h f w32-send-sys-command" will tell you this:

        [...]

    Is this what you are looking for?

Well, that does maximize the frame, but it does not remove
the title bar, as happens in Linux.  Looking into this I am
finding that it looks like this is somewhat non-trivial.
There is something that is designed to do that in Windows
called emacs-darkroom-mode[1], but it has about a million
dependencies[2].

In general, though, it would be lovely to be able to make a
really distraction-free environment out of Emacs.  The other
thing I would love is a feature such that the
minibuffer/modeline would vanish when not being used for
messages or output, leaving that space for text -- something
like the auto-hide feature that the task-bar has in some
window managers.  And, as long as I'm fantasising, I'd like
the Swedish bikini team to parachute in with a six-pack of
beer....

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.martyn.se/code/emacs/darkroom-mode/

[2]  Slight exaggeration.