how to enable anti-alias for charsets other than ascii?

From: Yu-ning Feng
Subject: how to enable anti-alias for charsets other than ascii?
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:27:26 +0800

Hello,

I was using 23.0.60.2, cvs'ed yesterday.
I could enable anti-alias by starting emacs this way:

  $emacs -fn "DejaVu Sans Mono-14"

ascii characters looked nice.
Then I set a font for viewing Chinese characters:

  (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'chinese-gb2312 '("ar pl kaitim gb" . "gb2312.1980"))

New font applied, but without anti-alias. (0) How could I enable it?

BTW, if I started emacs without options, then change font like this:

  M-x set-default-font <ret> <select DejaVu Sans Mono>

New font apllied, but wasn't anti-aliased, either.
(1) Why, and
(2) how to solve it by issueing commands or evaluating lisp expressions? (seems this could also help answer question (0))

Thanks.