Re: Viewing PDFs as text?

From: Alan
Subject: Re: Viewing PDFs as text?
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 23:19:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 11, 6:07 pm, Tim X <t...@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
> Alan <lngn...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Less (via lesspipe, I think) is able to read pdf files as text, using
> > pdftotext.  It would be much easier for me to browse pdfs using
> > emacs.
>

> doc-view will do what you want. However, if you just want a text version
> of the file, you may find the following useful. this is my txutils.el
> package. It converts various file types (doc, pdf, ps etc) to text or
> sometimes html and then displays the output in an emacs buffer. I use
> advice to attach this to view-file (v in dired). As an added benefit, if
> you do a view file on an html file, it will render in w3m.
>
> Note that this works perfectly for me. Your milage may differ and you
> may find bugs. I'm certanly happy to recieve bug reports, but cannot
> guarantee a timely update/fix.

I am using a snapshot of CVS emacs (23.0.60).  I had to edit
txutils.el to remove the "static-when" clause, but I'm not sure why.
The file did byte-compile after I did so.  However, view-file ("v")
does not seem to be re-defined in any way.

I think this package can do what I want.  I DO NOT want to convert to
png or other formats, or even to a text file.  I only want to view the
file, which would seem to me, after all, to be the intention of the
"view-file" command.

Thank you very much.

Alan