RE: Dired hd drives list

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Dired hd drives list
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:49:08 -0700

> > > It's what we have in Windows Explorer when My Computer
is
> > > selected in the folder tree.
> >
> > I have no objection to adding a special ``My Computer''
> > pseudo-directory in Dired, where all the filesystems
would be shown.
> > But the OP wanted that as part of every directory, or at

> > least that's what I thought he wanted.
>
> This is very essential thing. If I have printer, camera
and usb
> attached to my comp and if I want to copy (or save) file
to USB flash
> drive I must go to win eplorer and open My Computer
directory to see
> which drive is my USB flash and then go back to Emacs and
type that
> letter in the path...Silly, isn't it?

The question Eli raises is whether you need that info about
all drives in _each_ Dired directory listing. I don't hear
you saying "yes".

I think what you are asking for is just to be able to go up
(`..') in Dired from some drive listing such as c: or d: to
the My Computer level, where you would see the space etc.
info for all drives - just as you do now in Windows
Explorer. Isn't that what you want?